The Flood Memorial
The Memorial Wall and garden is at the far end of the playing field attached to Langer Primary Academy on Langer Road near the junction with Beach Station Road in Felixstowe.
It is the location of some of the deepest floodwater in the town at the time of the East Coast floods on the night of 31 January 1953.
41 people lost their lives. The memorial was unveiled at midnight on 31 January 2006 – exactly 53 years after the devastating floods hit.
The blue line at the top of the wall depicts the depth of the floodwater that night and the plaque records the names of the victims.
The memorial was constructed by local builders, Drake and Plant and designed by local artists Rosemary Humphries and Claire Curtis, with the mosaic works being made by local school children. It was paid for by a combination of private donations and funds committed by Felixstowe Town Council and involved many contributions in kind to convert the concept of the actual memorial and the artists’ cardboard model of the design into the physical structure.
A hand-engraved Book of Remembrance was opened and now resides in Felixstowe Library. The anniversary is kept at the memorial annually by the laying of a floral wreath that is now paid for by the Town Council.
To mark the 70th Anniversary the Council arranged for the complete refurbishment of the memorial.